SATA raid controller on Asustek's P5M2-M

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Mon Feb 4 17:15:48 UTC 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008 09:43:56 am Leonid Satanovsky wrote:
> Hello, people!
> Does anybody know whether the SATA raid controller on Asustek's P5M2-M
> motherboard is supported by FreeBSD 6.3 ... or 7.0?
> ------------------------------
> We are choosing a motherboard for a low-end mail server (this is a small
> company with lots of mail,... and the host will also serve as Internet
> gateway... that's the strange configuration -) ) )
> ------------------------------
> Thanks in advance!
> Best regards,
> --les

My experience with the onboard BIOS RAID of various motherboards has been
horrific.  I'd suggest one of two paths, depending on the RAID configuration
you're going for.

If you strictly doing mirroring check out gmirror.  If you are planning on
some sort of striping and want boot support think about populating one of the
8x PCI-e slots in the board with a RAID controller.  I've had good luck with
the highpoint 23xx and 3ware 9650s, I'm sure there are other well supported
options as well.

If you really need boot support and striping but costs are so touchy that you
can't afford a RAID controllre I'd boot the thing off USB and use
gstripe+gmirror before I used the motherboard RAID.  It's that bad.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB