Removing FreeBSD

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Fri Feb 1 17:20:32 PST 2008

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

> Bnw CmpRpr wrote:
>> Hi. I recently purchased a HDD from a man that runs a data center, and
> on this HDD is FreeBSD. My problem is I want it off, and for some
> ungodly reason, it keeps coming back. I cant format the drive with
> Windows, and I cant load it as a slave to format, either. Any help would
> be greatly appreciated. Thanks
>> -
>> M White
>> Black and White Computer Repair
>>

> The following assumes the drive is /dev/ad0 (the OS name for it) and
> it is modern enough to not get confused by a low level format... boot
> in single user mode (item 4 on the menu) and at the command line do:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0 bs=512 count=1
>
> This will clear the MBR partition table and make the machine think it
> is a brand new drive.

I reckon he's smart enough to find the freebsd list and smart enough to
ask the right question, so he's smart enough to appreciate FreeBSD. So
he should leave it on there :P

Still in case previous attempts at formatting have removed the OS he
could try Darik's Boot and Nuke floppy/usb/cd http://dban.sourceforge.net/.

Chris