This has begun to annoy me...

Josef Grosch jgrosch at MooseRiver.com
Fri Feb 1 15:12:15 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:08:53PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >+ad6: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=4570911
> >+ad6: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=42958719
> >+ad6: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=113343327
> >+ad6: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=117315327
> >
> >It looks like disk write errors to me, but I'm not sure.
> >
> yes it use.
>
> use ports/sysutils/smartmontools
>
> to make sure.
>
> print smart output and/or these errors and request replacement in your
> shop.

The disk is failing. Smartmontools, which is a great package, will only
tell you want you already know, that the disk is failing. I would copy
every thing important off that disk _NOW_ then go and get a replacement
disk TODAY. It's possible that the disk may spin for another 2 months or it
might burst into flames in the next 20 minutes. Either way the disk is
telling you, "I'm sick".

Also, what ever you do, do not power down that machine until you have
copied off the data. When you power cycle machines with disk in this state
there is a very good chance the disk will not spin back up.

I see this all the time at my job.

Good Luck

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 6.3
jgrosch at MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | Berkeley, Ca.