wpa_supplicant not starting with /etc/rc.d/netif

James Harrison jamesh at lanl.gov
Fri Feb 1 15:06:21 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 00:32 +0200, Reinis Ivanovs wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been following these instructions from the manual:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html#NETWORK-WIRELESS-WPA-WPA-PSK
> However, in the step that requires me to run "/etc/rc.d/netif start",
> instead of it starting wpa_supplicant, I see only "ral0: no
> link........................ giving up". I've added
> "ifconfig_ral0="WPA DHCP" to /etc/rc.conf, and it works just fine if I
> start it manually with "wpa_supplicant -B -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
> -i ral0". What should I do to get it working? Could it be that there's
> some bug in your scripts?
>
> Regards,
> Reinis

I've not done this, but the documentation says:

Note: If the /etc/rc.conf is set up with the line ifconfig_ath0="DHCP"
then it is no need to run the dhclient command manually, dhclient will
be launched after wpa_supplicant plumbs the keys.

As such, I don't understand why you're running the ifconfig command
in /etc/rc.conf with the extra WPA flag.

Try making it  read ifconfig_ral0="DHCP" and see if that helps.

Best

James