buildworld releng7 exterme performance loss

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Fri Feb 1 11:26:51 PST 2008

Every 2 weeks or so I rebuild my sources on my laptop ( Dell Latitude
D630 ). Last wednesday I wanted to update my system again since it was
allready a couple of weeks ago I rebuilded my sources. There were no
abnormalities during the build/install. But when I restarted my system
the system performance was absolutely *horrible*. When I try typing
anything in a terminal window the lag is about 20 seconds before the
command even shows up. Switching ttys takes at least as long. When
logging in remotely the performance is better; giving a random command
through the ssh session sometimes even allows a command run on a
local-console to run/finish ( or at least thats what the screen shows ).

Even trying to shutdown the system using shutdown -p now doesn't have
any effect: I get the message "System is going down NOW" but nothing
realy happens, I just get my prompt back and I can continue entering
commands. When I push the power-off button the system actually starts
shutting down but it stops at "Writing entropy file ."  leaving my only
choise to power off the system the hard way. When booting the system to
single-user mode however it reacts normally and also shutting down works
as it should

Last 2 days I tried redownloading the sources from a different mirror (
cvsup2.freebsd.org instead of cvsup.nl.freebsd.org ) to rule out
outdated/corrupted sources. But I still get the same  behaviour. Gladly
I still had my previous sources so I managed to restore my system in a
working state. Those sources are from about 3 weeks ago. Does anyone
know what could have caused this behaviour and how to fix it ? Below is
some system information, however I'm not sure what I should provide to
help out, if I should test something I'll gladly do.

Working system (sources from about 3 weeks ago, rebuilded today  ) :

frank at Rena# uname -a
FreeBSD Rena.FStaals.net 7.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE #0: Fri
Feb  1 20:23:11 CET 2008     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RENAKERNEL  i386

dmesg: http://fstaals.net/junk/rena/dmesg_old.txt

With today's  ( 1 frebruary 2008 ) sources  :

frank at Rena# cat /root/uname
FreeBSD  7.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE #0: Fri Feb  1 18:32:59
CET 2008     frank at Rena.FStaals.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RENAKERNEL  i386

dmesg: http://fstaals.net/junk/rena/dmesg_2008_01_02.txt

Kernel config used for both the builds :

http://fstaals.net/junk/RENAKERNEL.txt

--
-Frank Staals