how to enable the quota on

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Feb 1 08:44:14 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 02:42:39PM +0200, Giotis Eugen wrote:

> hello,
> im trying to enable quota on
> and i recieve the following error:
>
> "fstab: /etc/fstab:2: Inappropriate file type or format"
>
> and i typed: "/etc/rc.conf" and i recieve the error: "/etc/rc.conf:
> Permission denied."

I don't know what you entered to get the first message.  You don't say.

But, on the second, /etc/rc.conf is NOT an executable file.
It is a data file that other programs and scripts read to set
variables for their operations.   You might need to edit /etc/rc.conf
(with vi or emacs or some other editor) to change variable settings,
but you would not execute it.

Where are you getting your information about starting quotas?
Which steps have you actually tried?

////jerry