CVSup update or upgrade

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Fri Feb 1 08:22:03 PST 2008

On Friday 01 February 2008 00:47:12 Allen wrote:

> Now, this wouldn't work for some reason or another, but the system
> seemed to be doing just fine. I did uname -a and sure enough I had
> 6.3 Stable going. However, when typing kdm to load up that so I can
> use a gui, it no longer loads, at all, it pops up for a split second to
> just stop totally, and then gives me a message about the hostname.
>
> I thought it was odd, and XDM actually loads, but won't load X
> itself as it too goes out with errors about hostname.

So the hostname isn't set, the clue would be that machine presents itself
as "amnesia".
Check /etc/rc.conf so see if you set a hostname or if you use DHCP, check if
the dhcp server gives you one.

How this got lost in the upgrade, I don't know. mergemaster doesn't
touch /etc/rc.conf, only /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

> I've been looking on FreeBSD.org but I don't fnid anything about this,
> but when did FreeBSD go from .tgz files to .tbz? I'm just wondering
> what happened as I thought it was atypo at first and realized every
> one of my books said .tbz and so did my screen heh.

When libbz2 was brought into the base system, don't recall when exactly,
somewhere around 5.0 I guess. tgz use gzip compression, tbz use bzip2
compression, which generally compresses better, but uses more CPU-time.

FreeBSD can still read both though, it's just a change of default.

--
Mel