ssh and X11 problem

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Dec 31 18:02:42 UTC 2008

Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 12:54 -0500, stan wrote:

>> > I assume you have xserver on the FreeBSD box?  Check your display name.
>> > I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be 'hostname:0:0'.
>> >
>> Perhaps I was not clear. Yes I do have the X server running on the FreeBSD
>> machine, but that should not matter, as I am ssh'ing _from_ the Linux box
>> which does have a working X server on it also, and can ssh to other
>> machines  and get X fowarded corectly.
>>

> You need an xserver to connect *to*, which is why I asked.

No, Stan is right; an X server is only needed on the machine that
actually hosts the display.

The xauth error message are indicating the problem, but I don't
know what they're telling us.  The hostname should probably be
"localhost", and sshd_config is set up to do that by default.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/