scanner setup question

stan stanb at panix.com
Wed Dec 31 17:52:42 UTC 2008

I am trying to set up a new machine that has an HP scanner atached to it. I
am a bit confused at the moment.

I am trying to set up to allow users to acess this scanner. I have added
this to /etc/devfs.conf

perm pass0 0660

And that seesm to work:

# ls -l /dev/pas*
crw-rw----  1 root  operator    0, 104 Dec 31 12:07 /dev/pass0

I have added my suer to the operator group

# grep stan /etc/gro*
wheel:*:0:root,stan
operator:*:5:root,stan
network:*:69:stan
stan:*:210:

Running san-find-scanner as me finds the sacnner:

found SCSI processor "HP C2520A 3503" at /dev/pass0

But,

$  scanimage -L

What am I doing wrong?

BTW as root:

# scanimage -L
device `hp:/dev/pass0' is a Hewlett-Packard C2520A flatbed scanner

programs.