editing dhcpd.conf file

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Tue Dec 30 19:55:07 UTC 2008

On Dec 30, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Pieter Donche wrote:
> Now, when someone already registered his laptop, and buys a new
> latop to replace the old (a different MAC address), can then omshell
> be used to record the change in the /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf file?
> Does omshell edit the  /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf?
>
> Or is the only way to make changes to that file, to use an plain text
> editor, make the change manually and do a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc-
> dhcpd restart afterwards ?

I hadn't heard about omshell or OMAPI until seeing your post.  So my
answer is based on no experience other than just reading its man pages.

It appears that OMAPI does not edit the dhcpd.conf file.  However,
changes made through OMAPI will be reflected in dhcpd.leases with the
line

  dynamic;

indicating that the lease was created via OMAPI.  Thus, in principle
one could write a daemon that would watch dhcpd.leases for new dynamic
leases and then call something that would edit dhcpd.conf.  I don't
know if anyone has put that together, but it would make sense to ask
in places where OMAPI is discussed.

Best of luck with this,

Cheers,

-j