Optimising NFS for system files

Bernard Dugas bernard at dugas-family.org
Tue Dec 30 08:44:46 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> i can see a reading speed difference 4 time slower on client than on
>> server (time tar -cf - /usr > /dev/null).
>>
>> I will play with jumbo MTU for network performance, but would anybody
>> know if i can ask system files NFS exports to stay in server memory ?
>> I have less than 2Go to share and 2GO DDR2 is affordable.
>
> you don't have to.

So you din't think that if all files are already in RAM on server, i
will  save the drive access time ?

Or do you think the NFS network access is so much slow that the disk
access time is just marginal ?

Do you think i should use something more efficient than NFS ?

Best regards,
--
Bernard DUGAS Mobile +33 615 333 770