Default list of exported variables in sh(1) - $HOSTNAME

Brian A. Seklecki bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com
Mon Dec 29 20:12:35 UTC 2008

> > SSH_CONNECTION
> > FTP_PASSIVE_MODE
> > EDITOR
>
> I suspect linux to set them from .profile files (even /etc/profile) and not
> hardcoded in a shell or login program. The default skeletons

Mel:

 You were right to some extent.  However, the problem is more
complicated (or less complicated, depending).

First, FreeBSD's default php.ini doesn't have:

$variables_order = "EGPCS", so $ENV[] array wasn't getting popualted at
all.

Second, Apache FreeBSD RC scripts inherit the user environment from
sudo(8) unless you pass -H or -i flag/args

E.x.:,

 % sudo -H -i -u root /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 restart

Compared to:

 $ su -
 Password:
 $ /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 restart

Result in completely different results in PHP's $_ENV[]

Additionally, the results of "$ su -" differ completely from the shell
environment that executes when rc(8) is first run at boot time.

I may be better off using getenv() in PHP directly.

~BAS

--
Brian A. Seklecki <bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com>
Collaborative Fusion, Inc.