Having issues with the nvidia driver on my box

Marco Beishuizen mbeis at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 28 12:54:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 18:14:38 +0000
af300wsm at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For several reasons, one of which was to use the nvidia driver for
> my board, I switched from amd64 to i386. So, I installed the driver
> and although things are working I'm getting this on console 0:
>
> NVRM: AGP cannot be enabled on this combination of the amd CPU and OS
> kernel NVRM: kernel upgrade recommended
>
> So, when I installed the nvidia driver I said to enable AGP.
> (Figuring only that this is an AGP board, why not?) My graphical
> environment works but I'd like to resolve this. Also, I think that
> some little quirks in my display can be attributed to this, but I'm
> not sure. Is there some sort of kernel option I must include and
> build my own kernel?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy
>
> ps in case it matters, my board is rather "old." I purchased it 4
> years ago and as I'm not a gamer, it suffices quite nicely. Here's
> the driver I had to install for support of this chip:

Did you install the latest Nvidia driver? Perhaps your card isn't
supported anymore. Nvidia dropped some "older" chipsets in their latest
driver. You can try "nvidia-driver-96xx" or "nvidia-driver-71xx" in the
ports. I hope this helps.

regards
Marco

--
Economies of scale:
	The notion that bigger is better.  In particular, that if you