how can i be certain that a file has copied exactly?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Dec 28 03:15:52 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 04:06:28AM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:49:03 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > I also have some very simple and efficient string-matching
> > functions [[ for SHORT lines!! ]] and other thing we do very often.
> > It was (is?)  throw-away code.  Does it made sense to have a place
> > on the web where you can get these kind of canned functions?  I
> > have perhaps 20 of these functions named and tagged.  This was, I
> > believe, at least one idea behind C++, but at least I have never
> > seen any sites that offer C or C++ functions to do ``X''.
>
> There have been efforts in the past to do something like this.
>
> For example, I still remember discovering 'clib' at
>
>   http://mapage.noos.fr/emdel/clib.htm
>
> a few years ago.
>
> It seems a nice idea to build a "personal toolset", but my impression
> is that dumping a bunch of functions on a web page is not enough
> anymore.  The world has been `spoiled' by open source projects, so if
> an effort like this expects to be taken seriously from the world, it
> should at least have:
>
>   * A public source repository, with full history, readable from
>     everyone and compatible with one of the Open Source SCM tools.
>
>   * At least one mailing list for questions & announcements of new
>     releases.
>
>   * At least one visibly active maintainer, who is willing to fix
>     bugs, reply to email questions, and perform other `benevolent
>     dictator' tasks.
>
>   * Up to date manpages for all the functions in the collection.
>
> This sounds like a lot of work, because it *is*.  That's the price of
> writing something that others may want to use though.  Otherwise
> everyone can use the GNU glib and their system libc.so library :)

	:-)

	Well, I knew if I asked around and the right places, that
	eventually i'd get an intelligent answer.  When I began
	labeling and tagging my few fn's, i realized how much work it
	was ... and that is just for us BSD'ers.  It wouldn't work on
	other systems--at least not the driver side.  But that was
	never my primary thought.  I was thinking more of the
	application area; code that you use maybe for a few hours or
	days, then pitch.  Or maybe tarbar with bzip.

	Could this be the next hundred-thousand-dollar idea?  [I'd
	say $million, but not with the global *D*epression we may be
	heading into/toward.  Seriously.

	I realize that corporation ABC wants to wipe away corporation
	XYZ, say, but having this global, completely free/open source
	site would help both equally.  Seems to me this kind of site
	would benefit everybody and harm no one.  So the
	maintainer/dictator would probably have to be paid.  Or else
	get a free honey-glazed ham on New Years.

	I'll check out glib.  Meanwhile there is publib.  It has some
	pretty useful functions, some of whic h I had to do the hard
	way, then found that liw had already done them.

	gary

    The 2.17a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php