old flopy drive on parallel port

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sat Dec 27 12:15:17 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've just thrown away an very old laptop which was running FreeBSD 2.2.5
in the mid of the 90's; this have had an external 3.5 inch floppy drive,
connected through a cable to the parallel port and this way fully supported,
even for the basic installation of FreeBSD which was based on making a
boot-able floppy; I saved this drive because I still have some old
floppies here around and at home no other drive to read them;

My question is: can it be used / plug'eg in without any danger into to parallel
port of my actual laptop (Fujitsu Siemens) and is this somehow still supported
in FreeBSD 7.0 as well?

Thx

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
SPAMer of the year: Subject: Alle Software ist Deutsche Sprachen