Perl 5.10?

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 13:05:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:45:12 +0000
Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

[snip]

>It is still true that the change from 5.6 to 5.8 was very disruptive
>because it broke lots of things in the ports tree.

Is this the official reason that Perl-5.10 has not been released into
the ports tree?

Are ports being tied to specific versions of Perl? I did some Googling
and found that of the users that have installed Perl from source on
FBSD, most were not experiencing any major problem. If every time Perl
is updated it will require massive changes or whatever to the FBSD
ports, then perhaps there is a fundamental flaw in the ports system to
start with.

Perhaps you could list what the specific problems are so that others
might start looking for solutions. This is really the first time that I
have become aware of problems between Perl and the ports system.

Just my 2¢.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

I poured spot remover on my dog.  Now he's gone.

	Steven Wright