Dell 2850 use 32 or 64 bit?

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 05:21:50 UTC 2008

Tim Kellers wrote:
> I just bought a Dell 2850 (2 2.8GHZ dual core processors).  The server
> will be used as a webserver, e-mail server. and a db server (both
> PostgresQL and My SQL  Beyond the breaking of the 4 Gig RAM barrier,
> is there any compelling reason to use a 32 bit i386 or a 64 bit AMD
> OS?  The machine currently has just a gig of RAM but I'm going to add
> more, soon.  The machine runs headless and has no xorg, installed.
>
> A pointer to an article that discusses the 32 bit v 64 bit question
> would be appreciated as well.
>
> dell# uname -a
> FreeBSD dell.smsd.tv 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #0: Thu Dec
> 25 04:12:57 EST 2008     root at dell.smsd.tv:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DELL
> i386
>

> TIA
>
> Tim Kellers
it's more important to know the CPU inside the machine, by model number
instead of the model of the outer case.

If windows is still on it, run the cpu identification utility from
intel, IF it's an intel cpu.  The id utility will tell you if it's
64-bit capable.

Using Dell's service tag and looking at warranty/original system config
might be a good resource too.

Good luck.