Perl 5.10?

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Fri Dec 26 02:50:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 18:47:21 -0700
Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jerry wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 04:06:46 -0800 (PST)
> > "Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum" <bg271828 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Its now just over a year since Perl 5.10.0 was relased, but its
> >> still not in FreeBSD. (/usr/ports/lang only has 5.8).
[...]
> on the contrary, when 5.8 was released, it took a long time to move
> to that.  And when I asked that question on IRC (why 5.10 isn't
> currently used), it was described to me that the 5.6 to 5.8 "move"
> broke everything and caused lots of headache.  World and Kernel used
> to (at least) use perl as a glue to make stuff works.  I bet there's
> at least some 5.8 glue for world or kernel.

perl was removed from the base system back in 2002
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2002-May/000823.html)
so there can't be anything in the world or kernel build that depends on
it. It's one of the first things installed during an initial ports
installation though.

--
Bruce Cran