FreeBSD update warns about 7.0 end of life

David Horn dhorn2000 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 21:39:53 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Tait <freebsd at t41t.com> wrote:
>> >  When running freebsd-update on FreeBSD 7.0, I noticed this message:
>> >
>> >  WARNING: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE is approaching its End-of-Life date.
>>
>>       Key concept: "RELEASE".
>>
>>                                       Robert Huff
>
> I'm not trying to be dense, but what is that supposed to mean?
>
> I see this on http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html:
>  "The FreeBSD Security Team currently plans to support FreeBSD 7.0 until
>  February 28th, 2009."
>
> As far as I can tell, 7.1 hasn't even undergone RC2 build yet, much yet
> the actual -RELEASE build.
>
> So what am I supposed to do about this warning and the impending cessation
> of security support? Will the Security Team actually support 7.0R longer
> than originally expected? If so, can freebsd-update be made to understand
> that and stop issuing worrisome warnings?

I have only ever personally seen the 7.0-RELEASE  EoL warning when
running an non updated kernel.  I can not speak for the security team
support horizon, but 7.1 RC is working very well on my test machine,
so I personally will be updating my production box to 7.1-RELEASE
shortly after the bits are frozen solid.

What is the output of:

uname -a

Are you running -p7 already or not ?

If not, then run:

freebsd-update fetch install

And do not forget to reboot your system to actually use the latest
kernel after install succeeds.  On my 7.0-RELEASE machine (that is
already updated to -p7) I do not see EoL warnings.  YMMV.

Good Luck.

--_Dave

Non quia difficilia sunt non audemus, sed quia non audemus, difficilia sunt.