[solved] Re: usb-stick accessible, but doesn't boot

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Wed Dec 24 16:10:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 15:05:32 +0100 clemens fischer wrote:

>> Hans Petter Selasky:
>
>> Try the attached patch to "sys/kern/vfs_mount.c"
>>
>> Thanks for reporting. I have been aware about this issue for some time
>> now, but the patch has not been committed to current yet.
>>
>> I have FreeSBIE reliably up and running with USB2.
>
> Can you tell me what to do to the kernel configuration?  Maybe I don't
> have to compile any USB functions into the kernel and can put them into
> loader.conf?  I always get these dependency problems.

I think I've found my problem.  The kernel configuration really needs
the line marked "required", which builds support for the USB bus:
"device usb".  Except this line, every usb related item is a "nodevice"
now.  The USB2 modules needed are kldload'ed in boot/loader.conf from
the USB-stick, and this really works.

Hans Petter:  although I am not sure if my USB-stick needs it, the
kernel was built using your patch.  So the least I can say about it:  It
doesn't hurt, and it might sure help with more restive devices.

-c