starting Tomcat6

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 19:58:07 UTC 2008

Joseph Simmons wrote:
> I have tomcat6_enable="YES" in rc.conf and I don't see any tomcat
> process when I ps aux. When I try to start the script, nothing is
> returned either, I'd expect there to be some success or failure
> message as there is when starting apache22.

The process you'ld start is called 'java' according to ps(1) -- tomcat
runs inside that.

You certainly should get some output from the startup script.  Seeing nothing
at all is a classic symptom of not having the right settings in rc.conf

Try using sockstat(1) to see if you have anything likely with a network
listener on ports 8180 8005 or 8009.  Note that tomcat doesn't bind to
port 80 (or 443 for SSL enabled versions) unless you modify server.xml

If there's a port 8180 listener, then http://localhost:8180/ should get
you the default tomcat home page.

If not then you should be able to find some logs in
/usr/local/apache-tomcat6.0/logs  which may offer clues.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW