Wireless router?

Roger Olofsson 240olofsson at telia.com
Tue Dec 23 13:31:54 UTC 2008

Nerius Landys skrev:
> Thank you all for your suggestions.  This will be a project for me
> over the holidays.  I decided to go the standalone wireless router
> approach.  I will need to figure out how to configure my standalone
> wireless router to "pass everything through" to the internal LAN that
> I already have.  Also I don't know too much about security, like how
> to prevent eavesdroppers from connecting to my internal network.  One
> of you mentioned access lists, and I assume that means I tell the
> wireless router which MAC addresses it accepts, and nothing else.  Is
> there any other way to provide security?  Like a password-protected
> network?  What are the buzzwords for these security schemes?  Which
> security scheme do you recommend for preventing random people within
> proximity from connecting to my internal netowrk?

Hello again Nerius,

You have understood the MAC filtering correctly. You should also encrypt
the wifi traffic by using at least WPA encryption. For most wifi routers
this is a checkbox and a key or a passphrase that you enter. All clients
that wants access and have their MAC address in the access list will
have to enter the passphrase/key on the first connect.

This means that you control the MAC address list - all new wifi devices
that wants to connect to your wifi LAN needs to get added to the MAC
access list - manually by you. You also control the encryption
passphrase - all wifi clients that wants to connect to your wifi LAN
need to know the encryption passphrase. If you use WPA for encryption
you will have a higher degree of security than using the old and
hackable WEP.

Of course both the MAC list and the encryption key/passphrase are stored
in the wifi router - so if you don't set a proper password for admin
access to this one - all is lost. You should disable wireless access for
admin (remote management) to it - only allow cabled access and use a
good strong password.

Buzzwords? I dunno - I hope people on the mailing list help me out
here... Is there a better/simpler way of doing this?

Greetings

/Roger

For a good laugh ... Enjoy Jason Dixons presentations from the BSDcon on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7tvI6JCXD0&feature=channel_page or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmbjJI5su0&feature=channel_page