Wireless router?

Roger Olofsson 240olofsson at telia.com
Mon Dec 22 23:36:09 UTC 2008

Nerius Landys skrev:
> I have a PC with FreeBSD set up as a router (NAT). The PC has several
> network cards and I'm grouping the internal-facing network cards as a
> bridge (promiscuous mode for the interfaces).  Everything works well.
>
> Now I'd like to extend my wired network to include wireless.  I really
> have no experience with wireless networks.  I have a couple of
> computers that are wireless-ready (a laptop and a Playstation 3 that I
> won in a raffle).  Is it possible to somehow add some hardware to my
> FreeBSD router PC to make it into a wireless router?  What kind of
> hardware would I install?  What is it called?  The PC only has PCI
> slots, can you recommend a brand and model of "wireless server
> equiptment" if such a thing exists?  Would a normal wireless card
> suffice?  What model should I get?  I would prefer to set up static
> internal IPs for my wireless network at home, would this be possible?
> Or is DHCP the way to go (I hesitate at the thought of configuring a
> DHCP server).
>
> Another way to go is to hook up a standalone wireless router appliance
> to my FreeBSD machine's network interface (one of the interfaces).  I
> already have such a device, I think it's made by Linksys.  But then, I
> would be NAT'ing both through the FreeBSD machine and through the
> wireless router.  So it would be a double-NAT so to speak.  Is there
> anything wrong with that approach?
>
> So in a nutshell, I have a wired FreeBSD router with multiple ethernet
> jacks at home, and I want to extend it to include wireless network.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Hello Nerius,

I simply bought a standard wireless router, turned off all services in
it except the access list and plugged it in the LAN. The access list
filters on mac addresses and that level of security is fine where I live.

The wireless router does have firewall, dhcp, port triggering and such
but I disabled all of those since my FreeBSDs do all of that already.

The wireless router has one port for internet and four ports as a normal
switch, I don't use the internet port. I just plug in the ethernet cable
in the switch part as uplink.

I considered having a wifi nic as accesspoint in the FreeBSD main
router, however, it was better for me to be able to place the wifi
router for optimal range of the wifi. Turned out that the centre point
for wifi is not the same as where the main router is....

Greetings

/Roger