[solved] Re: usb-stick accessible, but doesn't boot

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Mon Dec 22 17:21:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 14:47:54 +0100 clemens fischer wrote:

[ re. a bootable CURRENT backup system on a USB stick]

> I am very sorry for this inaccurate information.  As it turns out,
> only the GENERIC kernel is bootable, my custom configuration doesn't.
> On the bright side, this indicates some feature missing from my
> normally very lean kernels, nothing is kaputt beyond repair.  I'll
> just have to find out which module just has to be in the kernel to
> make it boot from an USB stick.

The "custom configuration" uses the new USB2 stack, whereas GENERIC
still includes the older one.  When replacing USB2 with the old stack,
I can reliably boot the system from the stick.

I have another backup on a MMC card in a $5 card reader, but that one
boots with USB2.

The USB stick which only runs on the old stack identifies as:

  ugen1.2: <SanDisk> at usbus1
  umass0: <SanDisk product 0x5151, class 0/0, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2> on usbus1
  pass0: <SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8.02> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
  da0: <SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8.02> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
  umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000

I don't know if any quirks would make this product work.  To me it seems
as if it has to do with bulk handling?

-c