Backing Up ZFS

Julien Cigar jcigar at ulb.ac.be
Fri Dec 19 12:58:54 UTC 2008

I would suggest Bacula, a bit hard to config but very flexible

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 12:52 +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > As ZFS is becoming more stable and approaching production ready, how
> > would one "Backup" ZFS? In terms of backing up to an external media or
> > storage rather than doing snapshots. In case the the server
> > spontaneously bursts into flames.
>
> use tar it's filesystem independent if you have tape drives.
>
> actually you can tar to anything even multivolume backup using USB
> connected drivers.
>
> > I'm just curious at what others are currently doing to back up huge
> > amounts of data. eg. 2TB and onwards.
> >
> > 1. ZFS -> External HDD (External HDD aren't even big enough to handle
> > greater than 2TB) Taken offsite daily
> > 2. ZFS -> Another ZFS box (Not sure how you take it off site daily)
> > 3. ZFS -> Remote ZFS using RSync (Living in Australia, there are
> > limits on data transfer of a few hundred GB per month, to costs are
> > prohibitive)
>
> you don't require your backup target to have ZFS.
>
> all your 3 solutions are filesystem-independent
Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform
http://www.biodiversity.be
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Campus de la Plaine CP 257
Bâtiment NO, Bureau 4 N4 115C (Niveau 4)
Boulevard du Triomphe, entrée ULB 2
B-1050 Bruxelles
Mail: jcigar at ulb.ac.be
@biobel: http://biobel.biodiversity.be/person/show/471