Firefox, or FreeBSD?

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Thu Dec 18 23:48:21 UTC 2008

Kurt Buff wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:29:37AM -0800, Kurt Buff wrote:
>>> I'm visiting various web sites, and having a stupid little issue which
>>> is really annoying.
>>>
>>> FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #4: Sun Dec 14 22:08:22
>>> PST 2008     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

> Heh.
>
> I have those, but actually *want* the headline scroller, and some of
> those other things - I just want the silly beep to go away. It seems
> to do this on any page that does autoupdates - gmail does it too, when
> a new message comes in.
>
> Kurt

FreeBSD eco 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #1: Tue Dec 16
18:28:48 GMT 2008     root at eco:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Firefox 3.0.4

No beeps from wsj.com. At least none through the sound card which I know
works. How can I test whether the pc speaker is working?

Have you tried muting things with aumix or mixer?

I can post my about:config from Firefox if you like, probably better off
list.

Chris