/tmp running out of inodes

Daniel Bye danielby at slightlystrange.org
Thu Dec 18 18:30:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 08:54:33AM -0800, Tankko wrote:
> On a side question...what the the best policy for deleting files from
> /tmp?  Seems like a lot of apps are happy to leave files in /tmp.  Is
> clean up commonly done as a cron job?  What about files like
> mysql.sock= which are important.  I can't just blindly remove
> everything in /tmp each night.

As Kirk has already said, you need to figure why this is happening in
the first place, but there is a periodic job which can help keep /tmp
tidy for you. It is in /etc/periodic/daily/110.clean-tmps and can be
enabled with this in /etc/periodic.conf:

daily_clean_tmps_enable="YES"

You can tailor its behaviour depending on your needs - look for the
relevant knobs in /etc/defaults/periodic.conf

Dan

--
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _