Vetting motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H for FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE

ThinkDifferently Jeremy at FutureCIS.com
Thu Dec 18 17:15:35 UTC 2008

I'm currently looking for an ATX motherboard that supports the AM2+ socket,
Phenom Quad-Core processor, 4 DDR2 RAM slots (800 MHz is fine), 6 SATA ports
with RAID, and Gigabit LAN.  Onboard VGA would be nice.

It needs to work well with FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE, using a 2-disk SATA RAID1.

I'm currently looking at the Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H.

Has anyone successfully operated 7.0 on this board?
Any booting issues?  Did you need to modify the ISO to get it to boot (if so
how)?
Did RAID work?  Did it require a special driver to be loaded (if so how)?

Do any other motherboards fit the bill, given the specifications I give
above?

I recently got a black eye &-( with the MSI K9N2G Neo-FD, using the GeForce
8200 (MCP78) chipset.  FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE and CentOS 5.2 wouldn't even boot
on it, no matter what the BIOS config was.  Also, Vista wouldn't even
recognize the SATA disks, even if the SATA ports were in IDE, RAID or AHCI
modes (it requires a driver, even if you aren't doing RAID).