7.1 RC1 - problems with Intel Pro/1000 NIC (em0)?

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Thu Dec 18 14:58:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

After installing FreeBSD 7.1 RC1 from the DVD-image I found that the
PC in question has no LAN connectivity upon reboot.

The PC has an Intel GE builtin NIC showing up as "Intel PRO/1000
Network Connection 6.9.6" in dmesg.

For the problem: Though IP-Adress, default-GW etc. are correctly set
the box can't e.g. ping anything on the net; neither on the local lan
nor across the default-gw. Same the other way round: machine can't be
ping-ed, not even from the local subnet.

What's interesting though is that on both the LAN-Switch and the PC
("ifconfig") the interface shows up as connected. Even more
interesting: the MAC-address of the PC-nic shows up on the
corresponding LAN-Switch. So there definitely is "some form of
connectivity".

When starting a "tcpdump" there's no output - so obviously nothing is
coming into the machine form the network.

To cross-check I've

a) swapped the patch-cable for another one - no change

b) tried Ubuntu (Linux) from the Live-CD - under Ubuntu I've got full
LAN-connectivity without any problems

so it must be something FreeBSD related...

Has anybody out there had problems with an Intel GE-Nic ("em0") under
7.1?

Thanks in advance for any clue,
-ewald