linux_base question

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Thu Dec 18 08:07:41 UTC 2008

On Thursday 18 December 2008 04:03:45 Chris wrote:
> I'm trying to keep all FreeBSD servers in my net as I have since the
> late 90s. I have a requirement to get a quickbooks enterprise server
> running so I was going to attempt to use compat_linux.
>
> It struck me that if I knew the following list of supported linux
> implementations, I should be able to figure out the best port
> to use. So far, it doesn't seem too clear to me. Here are the
> linux versions supported by the 2 daemons Intuit puts out:
>
> CentOS 5
> Debian (Lenny)
> Fedora 6 / 7 / 8
> Mandriva
> OpenSuSE 10.2 / 10.3
> Ubuntu 6.06 / 7.04 / 7.10 / 8.0
>
> Here are the components needed.
>
> Gamin - 0.1.7.7 or newer or Fam – 2.7.0 or newer
> Glibc – 2.5-3 or newer, or Libc6 – 2.5-3 or newer
> Libgcc – 4.2.1 or newer
> Libstdc++ - 4.2.1 or newer
>
> Which of the linux_base* ports would be best to
> attempt to run these two daemons.
>
> I just updated ports and have the following shown
> linux_base-f7
> linux_base-f8
> linux_base-fc4
> linux_base-fc6
> (and several Gentoo)

On 6.x, use fc4.
On 7.x use fc6 and set compat.linux.os_release to 2.6.16 (which will be the
default for 7.x branch starting 7.1 as far as I know).

You can use others, but these have the widest coverage in production systems
and testing by the emulation team.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.