lang/php5 port

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Dec 17 03:56:32 UTC 2008

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On December 16, 2008 7:33:31 PM -0600 Steve Bertrand
> <steve at ibctech.ca> wrote:
>>
>> One of the reasons I've had to edit Makefile manually was because a
>> client needed JPEG support.
>>
>> At the time, `make config' didn't provide that option.
>>

> You should *never* need to edit a Makefile in a port.  (Well, extremely
> rarely.)  Usually the options are provided.  Optionally you can add them
> on the commandline like this:
> make -dwith_enable-foo -dwith_disable-bar.

These are the questions that I never would ask, as for years, I always
installed from source, never ports.

> If you don't find something you're expecting in a port, and you can't
> get an answer on this list, email the port maintainer, whose email
> address will always be in the port's Makefile.

I'm glad there are people who still answer 3rd party software questions
here. Normally, I'd just hack about until it worked.

It's great to know there is such wide-spread support here. Hopefully,
new questions will always be asked, and there will always be those
dedicated people who are always lying low, reading, ready to provide a
response in their field...

(seriously)

Steve