LPRng x pdf files

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Tue Dec 16 20:44:46 UTC 2008

> Or you can use gv's or xpdf's print option which should place
> the PDF file's content into the printer job queue.
>
> If your printer is PostScript capable, you could eventually
> use pdf2ps and then feed the PS directly into the printer.

if not - ghostscript processes both ps and pdf

example filter for my laserjet 4 (minimally modified default)

#!/bin/sh
#
#  ifhp - Print Ghostscript-simulated PostScript on a DesJet 500
#  Installed in /usr/local/libexec/hpif

#
#  Treat LF as CR+LF:
#
printf "\033&k2G" || exit 2

#
#  Read first two characters of the file
#
read first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`

if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ]; then
     #
     #  It is PostScript; use Ghostscript to scan-convert and print it
     #
     /usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=- - \
         && exit 0

else
     #
     #  Plain text or HP/PCL, so just print it directly; print a form
     #  at the end to eject the last page.
     #
     echo "$first_line" && cat && printf "\f" && exit 0
fi

exit 2