Any doc reference on /entropy file ?

Bernard Dugas bernard at dugas-family.org
Tue Dec 16 15:21:13 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> -rw-------   1 root  wheel  4096 Dec 11 17:36 entropy
>>
>> I can't find any reference to that file in FreeBSD doc.
>> Any reference to it ? What is it used for ? I have look in RANDOM
>> area, but no reference...
>
> at startup it seeds random generator, every 11 minutes and at shutdown
> it's saved from random generator.
>
> it's here to make random generator more random - not starting clean at
> boot.

Thanks a lot !

1- How may i suggest/learn to add this info in the random generator man
page, so that a search in doc gives the right result ?

2- As / will be mounted read-only, how can i tell the ramdom generator
to put this /entropy file somewhere in /var, where i think it should be
? Or is there any tricky hidden problem ?

Thanks a lot,
Best regards,
--
Bernard DUGAS Mobile +33 615 333 770