i686 CPU Compatibility

Anthony M. Rasat anthony.rasat at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 01:50:55 PST 2008

Abd Hamid Shamsi wrote:
>I just want to ask, is this freeBSD compatible with my
>i686 CPU. if there any, please advice me what version
>should i use.

FreeBSD came with two x86 flavour (can I said that? LOL sorry just had an ice cream earlier) which is x86 (32-bit) and x86_64 (64-bit).

The x86 flavour is intended for old 386, 486 and 585 (starting from Pentium Pro and upward version) to latest Pentium 4 Dual Core. The x86 can handle multi processor architechture with SMP kernel which is available by default.

The x86_64 flavour intended for AMD64 architechture that current Intel Core 2 Duo and since AMD Sempron and upward employed. However, this is not for IA64 which is totally different version of FreeBSD (I think) have created for it.

If you aim for tested stable version of FreeBSD, you can use FreeBSD-6.x-RELEASE lines. However if your hardware is up to current (say no less than 2 years tops) and you want the bleeding-edge version of applications, you can try FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE line (7.1 version is still in Release Candidate stage and not recommended except for testers).

Hopes that what you're looking for.

--

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465