Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Dec 15 15:11:42 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 02:22:31PM -0800, Brian Whalen wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> >
> >Tell that to the uncountable hordes of dedicated Linux users who don't
> >know what they're missing and, as such, see no reason to even give
> >FreeBSD a try.
> >
> Many Linux people I know still think FreeBSD SMP sucks, that combined
> with a lack of journaling filesystem on BSD gives the Linux folks a
> small edge.  I know ZFS is out there, but nor for that long yet on FreeBSD.

Many Linux people I know don't know about FreeBSD SMP and filesystem
matters -- or much of anything else about it, for that matter.  Some even
think FreeBSD is a Linux distribution.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
Quoth Jon Postel, RFC 761: "[B]e conservative in what you do, be liberal