power management

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Mon Dec 15 14:21:01 PST 2008

> my son read somewhere that linux does better power management than
> freebsd. one specific item being that the cpu scaling is more
> efficiently handled.

my friend told me that freebsd does it better ;)
anyway it's just "been told", "somewhere" etc.

to compare things we first need to set up a metric :)

> i don't know much about this stuff so i thought i'd ask here.
>
> 1. is there any accuracy to the statement?
>
> 2. is cpu scaling a kernel issue? if so, does this mean that the linux
> kernel has coding in it which deals with the scaling better?

IMHO it depends on hardware and ACPI. maybe linux handles strange cases
better maybe not.

Simply - install linux, then FreeBSD on same machine and check it :)