Cluster-wide installation of FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Dec 14 14:22:24 PST 2008

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:12:21 +0100, Nikola Knežević <laladelausanne at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a machine running FreeBSD 7.1, and now I would like to
> "replicate" it to other machines in our cluster. Other machines have
> smaller disks, and a different processor, but all are amd64.
>
> Is there a way to do this kind of installation (either by copying
> content, or installing and then copying /etc) in automated fashion? I
> can set up the netboot environment (since I'm using FAI to install
> linux on the same machines).

Maybe some variation of the method for duplicating partitions'
contents mentioned in the handbook can help here: You would need
a script to create standard loader, slice and partitions according
to your needs (to be calculated from the actual disk capacities)
and then dump / restore from the "master system".

I'm sure others will encourage you to follow a more
professional approach. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany