Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Sun Dec 14 02:58:31 PST 2008

>> are thousands of hardware bugs.
>>
>> with "secret" drivers - they can easily hide them. AFAIK at least half of
>> their driver code are to do workaround of their hardware bugs.
>
> Actually that sounds like a very close approximation of what is going

most "high end" popular products are just buggy. as long as most people
buy them just to be "better" than friend that bought older model half year
ago - they will keep producing this shit.

Really well hardware can be made, but not with half year production cycle.
at least 3 years.

> What I can't equate with is why its acceptable for intel to do the
> same... check if_iwi and its "firmware". No other wifi device (that I'm
> aware of-
maybe you need check more :)

> put in a rl nic. The cpus are shit as well- I've had no end of trouble
> with them, plus too hot, power hungry etc.

as most people liked ;)