Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Dec 13 01:34:51 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:46:03PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >I mean seriously, has this helped anything at all?
>
> no. all i want is to stop all stupid topics about:
>
> - KDE/Gnome/other crap (or great things for somebody)
>
> BECAUSE IT'S NOT PART OF FREEBSD. FreeBSD has nothing to this, except
> KDE/Gnome/whatever can be run on it

Isn't discussion of getting KDE/GNOME/whatever working *with* FreeBSD a
FreeBSD topic?

> - support of flash in Opera/Firefox/Whatever
>
> again BECAUSE WWW BROWSER ARE NOT PART OF FREEBSD.

Isn't getting Flash working *with* FreeBSD (and browser of choice) a
FreeBSD topic?

> - support of new/hot (literally)/super/extra graphics cards from NVidia.
>
> BECAUSE Xorg IS NOT PART OF FREEBSD.

Isn't getting X.org working *with* FreeBSD (with a particular graphics
adapter) a FreeBSD topic?

> While IMHO full graphics support (graphics support, not GUI) should be
> part of kernel as driver, it isn't.

Isn't that, too, a FreeBSD topic -- whether graphics support should be
addressed as part of the FreeBSD base system's scope?

> As NVidia card Xorg module does need some kernel wrapper (no idea why) -
> then there is nothing wrong for interested people to write it as ADD
> ON/PORT.
>
> - asking about bloat level, visual apperance comparision etc. between
> FreeBSD with KDE and Windoze.
>
> because KDE ARE NOT PART OF FREEBSD, and FreeBSD on it's own doesn't have
> (fortunately) any "desktop environment" so it can't be compared.

Isn't "FreeBSD + $foo" a FreeBSD topic?

> if someone like to compare KDE with windoze - OK but NOT THIS GROUP!

KDE is not an operating system and -- despite jokes to the contrary --
installing MS Windows on a computer does indeed give one an operating
system.  It takes something like FreeBSD, in addition to KDE, to have a
valid OS+GUI comparison with MS Windows.

> SO - please just stop ALL NTG topics here. this group really lacks
> moderator. not someone that will remove posts he considers "lame" but all
> that is off topic.
>
> Off topic=not about FreeBSD OS.

I'm amazed that you seem to think that making FreeBSD do what one wants
it to do isn't a FreeBSD topic.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
Paul Graham: "Real ugliness is not harsh-looking syntax, but having to