Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

prad prad at towardsfreedom.com
Fri Dec 12 11:07:48 PST 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:11:48 -0700
Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:

> I don't recall anyone saying "I'm with such-and-such a FreeBSD
> development team, and these are the reasons we aren't going to do
> anything about that at this time:".

i don't either, but these development teams do exist:
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/index.html
and so does a mechanism for initiating projects:
"If you feel that a project is missing, please send the URL and a short
description (3-10 lines) to www at FreeBSD.org."

and i guess as tyson explained there needs to be a balancing of limited
resources.

> On the other hand, their statements *do* imply that *my* position is
> illegitimate in some way

i don't think so. it's more along the lines of "we don't need this in
light of the priorities".

however, i do think michael powell makes a
very good point about "setting a very dangerous precedent" by ending up
allowing "third parties to have the ability to dictate to the devs
what code goes into FreeBSD?"

this is quite possibly a legitimate concern.

> Some people don't know that, and are basically told to go
> away by some people when they bring it up.  Still other people
> suggest alternate approaches to fixing the problem, and are also
> basically told to go away, when a more appropriate response would be
> to say "I think you should talk to the people at the swfdec and gnash
> projects about that," in most cases.

ok so here's a solution. whenever someone tells people to go away (i
don't think it has been done quite that way, but i see little point in
going into that here), surely others can point to those who are in the
appropriate projects. that way you have the choice of pursuing the
matter or seeking an alternative os.

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's