Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

prad prad at towardsfreedom.com
Fri Dec 12 10:32:38 PST 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:04:21 +0100 (CET)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> there are excellent opensource software and there are crappy
> opensource bloatware.
>
> just being opensource doesn't mean anything

agreed, but we prefer to support opensource from a philosophical
perspective even when the quality isn't quite up to scratch. for
instance, we use shane hudson's scid which has become chessdb instead
of the really excellent chessbase because we preferred to support shane
while he was doing scid many years ago.

with reference to the desktops, i really don't think the xp offering
really compares to either kde or gnome - you can't even get multiple
desktops there without third party stuff from what i recall. still some
things are available on xp which aren't elsewhere (for various
reasons), but i'd rather work around these. actually, i work around kde
and gnome too (even though i think they're pretty decent), and use dwm.

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's