Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

prad prad at towardsfreedom.com
Thu Dec 11 14:03:15 PST 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:30:32 +0100 (CET)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> for whom? ;) it's just overadvertised nothing more,

ya well i'm not trying to do their advertising :D :D
i merely copied it from their page.

we did use openbsd for 1 yr for our servers and it was ok though some
of the default security was irritating (for us). their elist wasn't
nearly as good as this one and had some rather
perpetually-angry-at-each-other people on it though there was one
fantastic guy (nick holland) who was really knowledgeable and helpful
to everyone.

the real problem we had with openbsd was that the email system became
unstable after doing the upgrades to the next version using their
recommended upgrade process. in fact, the recommended upgrade process
didn't work on when we tried to go to 4.1 for some of the software,
which is really pretty weird. openbsd wants you to upgrade.

what was surprising and refreshing here was to hear more than one
person (and i think you were one of them), say why upgrade if the
system is doing the job you want it to. so i'm not upgrading our servers
because everything is working absolutely beautifully!

> having no
> adventage over FreeBSD in any point.

well i thought the 3.9 fish was kinda cute, but beastie is still much
better!

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's