Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Julien Cigar jcigar at ulb.ac.be
Thu Dec 11 05:39:38 PST 2008

Just to share my point of view :

I use FreeBSD only since 6.2, before that I was a long-time Debian user.
For the little experience I have with it I must admit that it looks
pretty solid and a perfect choice for a "server" (for proof: I replaced
almost all my Debian boxes with FreeBSD, both at work and at home) :
things like ports, GEOM, PF, Jails, ... are a pleasure to use, altough
some things are missing (no software RAID 5 (no, no gvinum please), no
"grow" mode as in mdadm, etc).

As a desktop I'm a little more reserved. I had a lot of problems with my
pc at home for example (but not only):
- on almost all my machines I have problems with CD/DVD drives, mostly
things like READ_BIG timeout, etc. I tried almost everything (disabling
ACPI, DMA, upgrading the drive BIOS, etc), disabling DMA resolved some
problems, but it's still impossible to burn a DVD for example.
- my mouse (a Logitec MX 300, USB) is still undetected at boot. Every
time I have to unplug/plug it after boot. Not a big deal I admit, but
boring.
- USB mass storage plug/unplug sometimes causes system panic. I know
that this is a well known bug that require some rearchitecting and that
a proper umount has always been the way to umount a drive, but,
honestly, you cannot seriously convince someone to use FreeBSD with
things like this ...
- Altough ports are fantastic, building things like OpenOffice or ... is
just inhuman, especially when you cannot use -j for building ports (but
it's being resolved I think). Of course there are packages, but it's far
less friendly to use (and manage) than apt-get/dpkg.

Julien

--
Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform