removing a php5-pcre extension

Zbigniew Szalbot zszalbot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 03:12:12 PST 2008

Hello,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:45, Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Now that pcre is included in the base installation, how do I remove it?
>>
>> $ pkg_delete -nv php5-pcre-5.2.6_2
>> pkg_delete: package 'php5-pcre-5.2.6_2' is required by these other packages
>> and may not be deinstalled:
>> pear-1.7.2
>> pear-Auth-1.6.1
>> pear-Auth_SASL-1.0.2
>> pear-DB-1.7.13,1
>> pear-Log-1.10.1
>> pear-Mail_Mime-1.5.2,1
>> pear-Mail_mimeDecode-1.5.0
>> pear-Net_SMTP-1.3.0
>> pear-Net_Socket-1.0.8
>> pear-Pager-2.4.6
>> pecl-filter-0.11.0
>> php5-extensions-1.2
>> phpMyAdmin-3.1.0
>> smarty-2.6.19
>> pkg_delete: 1 package deletion(s) failed
>>
>> Am I safe just deleting it? Or do I have to rebuild all the above listed ports?
>> Leaving it as is is probably not a good idea...
>
> Presumably, if you delete it, the listed packages will stop working.

One more thought - I commented out the pcre extension in the ini file
and restarted apache after which everything seems to be working fine.

So I wonder if I am safe to delete it or if not, then how would you
advise me to proceed to keep the system clean. Many thanks!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.faitrade.net.pl