ISO Images/Releases/FTP Servers

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Mon Dec 8 17:44:15 PST 2008

FreeBSD Fans,

I'm experiencing irritation.  Would someone have a long talk with whoever
is responsible for the ISO images, release names, and/or the FTP servers,
depending on where the root if this irritation lies?

<rant>

I've installed FreeBSD briefly a couple of times on my home desktop box.
Recently I've been taking an install on vmware from the 7.1-BETA2 ISO,
bootonly - installed via FTP, for a spin to jog my memory a bit in
preparation to perform another install.  All worked well under vmware.  I
didn't try zfs as I figured I'd just wait for the real install for that.
After getting home from work today I started the install process.  This is
roughly how it went.

I booted the 7.1-BETA2 ISO and wiped out my Gentoo installation.  I
sliced/partitioned my hard drives.  I then fired up a fixit shell to go
through the root on UFS plus everything else on ZFS procedures I had used
the last time around.  I tried to load zfs.ko and kldload said it didn't
exist.  ls verified that it did indeed exist, but kldload refused to load
it.  At this point I had wiped out the Gentoo install on the only
functional PC I have in the house.  Well, there's a Pentium MMX 200Mhz box
in the closet with an ooooooooold Mandrake install on it but it's power
supply fan tries to be difficult most of the time.

After grumbling for a few moments I pulled out a 7.0-STABLE-200807 livefs
CD I had and tried using it for the fixit shell.  It complained about the
versions not matching, but started the fixit shell and I was able to load
zfs.ko and create my zfs pool and filesystems.  I try to start the
install, pick a ZFS server and it complains that it can't find release
7.1-BETA2 on the FTP server.  I went blank on release naming schemes.  I
tried several things to no avail.  So, I finally decide to start over and
install from the 7.0-STABLE-200807 ISO I have handy.  I get to the same
point and it complains that it can't find release 7.0-STABLE-200807 on the
FTP server.  Fortunately after a few tries I was able to do a better job
of jogging my poor memory and made the installer happy using 7.0-RELEASE
as the release name.  Would someone please:

A.  Keep the releases available on the FTP servers for a reasonable amount
     of time.

and/or

B.  Add functionality to the installer to list the available releases if
     it can't find the release it's looking for.

</rant>

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org