cups issue, unsupported format

Michael Powell nightrecon at verizon.net
Sat Dec 6 03:03:44 PST 2008

af300wsm at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on getting cups working and I've installed the "hplip" port
> and the cups program used that to install the printer. At least, there was
> an "HPLIP" in a list in one of the pages during the setup. My printer is
> an old HP LaserJet 4+ which I've connected through the parallel port. My
> URI for the printer is parallel:/dev/lp0. When I went to do the test page
> I got this error, "Unsupported format 'application/postscript'." Here's
> the problem, I chose a driver which, though I don't remember the full
> string in cups, was a 4/5 PCL driver. So, why is it trying to print using
> postscript?

It's been a while since I've done a virgin cups install so I'm not real
current on what it might be like now. You start out with installing the
/usr/ports/print/cups metaport and this should pull in a few other sub
ports as dependencies.

The port cups-pstoraster is what coverts postscript print output into
PCL, utilizing (IIRC) one of the ghostscript ports. Perhaps your install
may be incomplete. In the past I've just installed the metaport and it
happily sucked everything else in automagically.

-Mike