DVD cloning tool

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Fri Dec 5 13:18:37 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 08:45:52PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >Agree that dd is good for simple CDs and DVDs but can't say that I know
> >it will behave on multi-session or multi-format discs.
>
> the question was about DVD. dvd are not produced multisession or
> multiformat.

The above is contradicted below. *These* DVDs in question are known not
multi-session?

> and when copying multisession data DVD, it's much better to copy off
> all files, possible add more and write as single session.

Depends on what your homework assignment is. In the data center I was
talking about one could make a good argument that the duplicate was to
be multi-session if the original was. We don't know for sure it doesn't
contain a presentation application or something counting on the multiple
sessions.

> actually it's rarely used. i never recorded even one multisession DVD
> except once to test if it works :)

On DVD-R it works badly, can only write 4 or 5 sessions and there is
some huge buffer zone between each session, 200 to 500 MB.

> with CD - you are right, but it was already told that readcd is OK.
>
> unfortunately AFAIK there is no similar tool for DVDs

Thought readcd (out of cdrtools) also knew how to read DVD?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net