Performance benchmarks pitting FreeBSD against Windows

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 04:58:22 PST 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 13:11:22 +0100 (CET)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

>> tools like bonnie++, blogbench and postmark under cygwin and the
>> results are abysmal. It might be due to cygwin, and it might not.
>> I've used
>
>rather not. all cygwin do is wrapping calls like read, lseek, open,
>write, close to windoze calls.
>
>> Windows Enterprise Server 2003.
>>
>> You'll probably not find any difference in computational (numeric)
>> tasks
>
>unless microsoft is intentionally slowing down all programs or some of
>them to "show" adventage of their programs.
>
>no i'm not joking. it's not just possible, i'm fairly certain they do
>it.

Slightly paranoid aren't we? It reminds me of an article I read several
years ago in which the author claimed that all "Virus" and
"Malware/Trojans" were being written by Linux users in an attempt to
discredit Microsoft and then start charging for the use of their
software in a fashion consistent with Microsoft. He went on to claim
that 'open-sore' authors would reap windfall profits. Of course, like
you, he offered no concrete evidence, just idle speculation.

In any case, due to the multitude of flavors of *.nix and Windows
machines, in addition to the thousands of possible configurations,
systems, etc., getting a truly meaningful comparison would be a
monumental undertaking. In any event, it would be obsolete before you
ever finished it.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Fortune's Office Door Sign of the Week:

	Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige.