Gnome slow at start up

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 10:51:34 PST 2008

Hi all,

I'm running FreeBSD 7.1-BETA 2 and I have some problems with Gnome at start up.

When I type startx, I get the gnome desktop and the nice border-less
window in which I can see components loading. However, after the
gnome-panel icon, it seems to stall.
some time later (around a minute or two) nautilus seems to run and I
get all the icons at my desktop.

I have
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
in my rc.conf and I can see, both are running.

I have the entries suggested in
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q20 added to my /etc/hosts
and I can verify with ping that I don't have any problems with name
resolution.
I also have both net.inet.tcp.backhole and net.inet.udp.blackhole set to 0.

What's the problem? How can I see which process is stalled during start up?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.