what script is whacking root's files

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Dec 4 09:34:26 PST 2008

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 06:30:13 -0600, Derek Ragona <derek at computinginnovations.com> wrote:
> /root is on /dev/da0s1a
>
> This particular server is running in a VM on a vmware esx 3.5 server.
> The server runs fine, but every so often the dot files disappear for
> root.  I have not found the behavior to follow a reboot, but some period
> of time.  Hence my suspicions it was a periodic script.

Check your crontab jobs then.

  * Do you have any local changes to the system crontab in
    `/etc/crontab'?  If yes, what are those changes, and what do the
    scripts or other commands they run look like?

  * Do you have a user-specific crontab file for `root' in
    `/var/cron/tabs/root'?  If yes what does it contain?